Thursday, July 4, 2013

Traveling Solo for the First Time

The amount of times I've said I would blog aloud combined with how many times I reminded myself in my head is a ridiculous amount. I'll just skip over the rants I find myself going into at the beginning of posts and cut to the chase. Last time I left off I said that I was in the hopes of going away somewhere. After the last semester at university I found myself drained from school work and wanting to do something adventurous and completely out of my comfort zone. Initially my plan was to go off to South Africa or Costa Rica to do some volunteer work, yet that didn't work out. Alas, I find myself going to a familiar but unfamiliar place... Nice, France being that I've visited France before but never Nice. I am going for a 'language exchange' program but perhaps my real excuse was a summer break on the French Rivera. 

In due time I do plan to venture to more exotic destinations such as Thailand, Cambodia or South Africa but the main objective of this trip is that I will be completely solo for the first time. I have never traveled abroad nor gotten on an airplane by myself. It's as if this trip will mark some sort of acquisition for independence. Although I understand a wee bit of French I will be living on my own, in unfamiliar territory, in a foreign country left to fend for myself which frankly... is absolutely amazing! Although I am concerned with my questionable navigation skills and forgetfulness to conjugate some French words I have faith in myself and this whirlwind experience. I'll be leaving early next Saturday morning and arriving in the Côte d'Azur on French Independence Day! I'm not sure what Nice will look like on Bastille Day but I guess that is something I will find out in a week's time. 
P.S: Happy Fourth of July everyone!

*My next post may be photo bombed with shots of the desert, dead fish and endless salt flats. Can you guess what place in California this might be? 
Hint: Temperatures easily rise up to 116 degrees

2 comments:

  1. Wow, very cool! Well done Hannah. I'll be looking for your posts once you arrive.

    How long do you plan to stay for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be away for two weeks but am thinking of extending it...

    ReplyDelete