Sunday, March 4, 2012

La langue française

J'aime la langue française. Il est beau, et j'espère que de l'utiliser dans mon futur à l'étranger.

Yeah, so basically I wish I was fluent in French. I've been taking the language for approximately six months now (which is nothing) yet my progress has been going way better than I expected. I find that my professor's discussions are a bit easier to comprehend and whenever there are french speakers on campus, my ears are able to pick up some of what they are saying. However, I still have a long road ahead of me. Learning a language is no walk in the park. Sure, I believe that others may have a better ability to learn, but the process  takes time, effort, dedication, and a willfulness towards making mistakes and putting yourself outside your comfort zone. Dedication isn't really an issue with me since I try to spend every day practicing vocab, grammar, reading or speaking. The problem is my lack of patience, but I just keep trying to remind myself that all good things come in due time.

Going to Paris last summer was an overwhelming but amazing experience, and I vowed that I wouldn't return without some more knowledge of the language. Although one can never study too much, I find that perhaps I need more of a challenge. If I get too comfortable I know I am not doing something entirely progressive. That is why I started to take a French course with an instructor who everyone described as the "Cruella de Ville".This literally was the best decision I made, and although the class is très difficile I am learning so much more. I am in an environment where everyone is forced to speak nothing but French. Hopefully, with classes like this I'll be arriving in France with less anxiety and a confidence to encounter any situation.

Also, I've decided that I might minor or make French a double major of mine. I'm very excited that these are possible plans in the making. I must wait until June to hear of my results, and whatever happens I'll still be pursuing my academic interests. So, while I play the waiting game I'm focusing on school, health, and everything in life and just seeing what else God has in store for me.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome Hannah, just think in another year, or 2, or 5, how amazing at French you could be by then!

    ReplyDelete